CMS(channel manager system) and the GDS(global distribution system) have the following in common .
- Easy to sell to various channels.
- Synchronize price and availability in real time.
- Able to manage reservation, check-in on one system.
The difference between CMS and GDS is as follows.
CMS is a service that connects roomtypes to global OTAs and manages customers directly.
- Connect with the four major global OTAs(Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, and Airbnb)
- Able to promote accomodation and get reservations for 70% of global travelers.
More domestic travelrs tend to use global OTAs.
- Properties with facilities that are friendly to foreign tourists tend to onboard Global OTAs. (Guesthouses in the city center, shared accommodations, hotels with foreign languages)
GDS is a service that helps sales for domestic channels.
- Select 20 channels at once with the agreement of terms and conditions,
- A single 15% commission regardless of channels,
- It is often used by domestic tourist-friendly property. (Pension, Pool Villa, Hotel, etc.)
Please check the table below for detailed differences.
||Integrated Sales Agency
|Partner 🏠 ↔ Sales Channel||Contracting entity||Partner🏠 ↔ Wave ↔ Sales Channel|
(Fee rate contracted with sales channel)
|Sales Channel → Partner🏠
||Sales Channel → Wave → Partner🏠
||Manage on Wave
- Contracting entity and service fee
- CMS : Partners directly make a contract with each OTAs.
- GDS : Partners don't need to separately contract with each OTAs.
Just contract with Wave with service fee of 15%.
- Handling Reservation
- CMS : Partners must handle reservations by themselves.
- GDS : Wave Service Support Team will help you to handle your reservation.
- Payout flow
- CMS : Each OTAs directly payout to partners.
- GDS : Wave directly payout to partners.
- Managing contents
- CMS : Manage contents on each OTAs Extranet.
- GDS : Manage contents on Wave. The same contents will be applied to all channels.